Sunday, August 14, 2005

s/v Star Reach

Home sweet home! Star Reach is a sailing vessel 46 ft in length and nearly 20 tons. It's a BIG boat that takes four sails to get things moving. Though, when there's no wind we power on the diesel engine to move about. The big blue canvas is called a binimi, which shades the cabin and cockpit from the tropical sun. We've been working everyday to get her ship shape for a potential buyer. That's right! Star Reach is for sale and unfortunately I don't have enough money to buy her! But I do get to enjoy living aboard and learning all about celestial navigation, electricity, plumbing, cooking, engine repair, and so on. So take a look at the movie to see what it's like.

Play Part 1

Play Part 2

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Geez James, that dink looked awfully small! I look forward to seeing parts 2+ of the video tour!

Anonymous said...

part 2 is coming! -james

Anonymous said...

yahooooOOO! where in the world are you now, sJ?

-rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi James! I got your blogspot from your former colleague in CIM. Looks like you are all settled in for a wonderful adventure. Keep yourself anchored on the boat! I have been in the CIM alot these days trying to get some of my classes on Blackboard. Kids started school today- I am sure they will love to see where you are. Let us knwo when you get back on dry land!
Take Care
Harvey

Anonymous said...

how's this for a crazy hair day for our dear swashbuckler?

Anonymous said...

James!

Hope this finds you well... and alive. That boat rocks, almost as much as how much Mission Man rocks...
The boat could use a Jolly Roger flag though; arrrrgh.

-Taylor (in Indiana)

Anonymous said...

Hey James, we miss you in the CIM, hope you're having a blast. I think it's high time for another update. :P

-David

Anonymous said...

James,

I cataloged a book of John Masefield's poems this afternoon. If you don't know this poem...well, here it is:

Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by.
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song
And the white sail's shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea's face
And a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again,
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and clear call
that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume,
and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again,
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like the whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn
From a laughing fellow rover,
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick's over.

Update us soon!

Kathleen