Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Navakaka

An hour bus ride on an orange clay road, myself Bob and Eronny find our way to Navakaka village on a Sunday afternoon. We wanted out of town - Cabin Fever was setting in and I needed a change of pace.

The village Navakaka has a population of roughly 100 and just 1 telephone. Kids, dogs, and chickens roam the village along the paths connecting homes and dalo fields. Electricity is by a diesel generator that runs daily 6pm-10pm. My first impressions were - the "garden of eden" might have looked something like this - camping with my family as a kid at Indian Lake State Park- and simplicity.
Play Village Video

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Your movie is awesome -- I think the dalo caption was the best! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey James...

Nice slides... great music!
Don't worry! I think there is a hidden messge here...huh?

Keep us posted! Love you

Anonymous said...

james, I miss you. who is your new little friend? r

Anonymous said...

Hey, James.
I finally got QuickTime loaded so that I could watch the movie, parts 1 and 2. I wonder if there is not some double meaning in the term 'dink'. Nautically speaking, it sounds similar to 'dinghy', a small boat without a keel that can be rowed, or have a mast stepped as a simple sailing craft. They were used as boats aboard fishing vessels. Of course, it also sounds like 'dinky', an adjective describing something small.

The Star Reach's dink seems to serve as a launch or dinghy, and it is also dinky in size. I presume it is useful for reaching shore without requiring a swim or getting one's feet wet (much ;} )

It was fun to see the below deck scene, and to visit with Mary Ann. And it is always a comfort to know the head is functional! In the true pirate's day, the crew was forced to go to the head of the vessel, in the 'head chains', as there was no functioning head at all (never a comfort!).

Another movie showing the masts, sails and rigging might be a nice add on. Or something about the shore visit.

All the best.

Ken

Unknown said...

Hi James I love your story. And was wondering if you were going to create a another movie. I would like to know. I would love to know more. What so nice about your story is you bring me memories of how I grew up in that village. I have tears in my eyes reading. Errony is my cousin. Ron I am not sure. It's been 24 yrs I have not been there. Love Senimili. Hummel.